Terms and Conditions
Please familiarise yourself with our terms and conditions
These terms and conditions apply ONLY to students enrolling in an Intensive General English course or Programme. This includes: Intensive General English (CRICOS Course Code: 099975D), IELTS Preparation, FCE Preparation, Scuba Diving and Surfing.
Refund and cancellation
1. Requests for refunds must be made in writing using the Refund Request Form
2. The enrolment fee, and Accommodation Placement fee are non-refundable.
3. All refunds will be paid to the person who has entered into the contract with The Language Academy, unless the person gives a written direction to pay the refund to someone else. Refunds will be processed and paid within 28 days of the receipt of the written request of a refund. Bank charges are deducted from refunds that are made by means of overseas electronic transfer or bank deposit.
4. If the required visa is not granted, a full refund of tuition fees (except Enrolment or Accommodation Placement Fees) will be made provided that sufficient evidence of visa refusal is provided from the Australian Department of Immigration & Border Protection.
5. If written cancellation of the enrolment is received four (4) or more weeks prior to the initial course commencement – 100% of tuition fees will be refunded.
6. If written cancellation of the enrolment is received less than four (4) weeks prior to the initial course commencement – 75% of tuition fees will be refunded.
7. In the unlikely event of The Language Academy being unable to provide a course for an enrolled student, all fees will be refunded in full.
8. No refunds or transfer of fees to other parties will be granted once the student commences studies at The Language Academy (course dates starts from the start date on the students’ s Confirmation of Enrolment Letter). Any deviation from this rule will be at the sole discretion of The Language Academy.
9. Refunds will not be granted if the Department of Immigration and Border Protection excludes you from continuing your studies, you withdraw from studies after the program begins, or you are expelled from The Language Academy.
10. Any refunds made to students will be net of any agent commissions paid, if the student enrolled through an education agent or any intermediary party. Any pro-rata refund amount paid to the student will similarly have the pro-rata agent commission amount deducted from it. In such cases, The Language Academy will assist the student in securing the refund from the agent, but ultimately it is the agent’s decision whether the refund is made to the student or not.
11. Should a student become seriously ill or be required to return home due to exceptional circumstances of a compassionate nature (such as death or severe illness of the immediate family) and can no longer continue their study, The Language Academy may refund the balance of unused tuition fees. Requests for such a refund must be made in writing using the Refund Request Form
12. Requests for refunds in exceptional circumstances are wholly at the discretion of the Director of The Language Academy. Appropriate evidence, such as an original medical certificate or death certificate in English, will be required to support your claim.
13. In the unlikely event that The Language Academy is unable to deliver your course in full you will be offered a refund of all the course money you have paid to date. The refund will be paid to you within 2 weeks of the day on which the course ceased being provided.
14. In the unlikely event of The Language Academy becoming insolvent, the Australian Government’s tuition protection service (TPS) will assist students on a Student Visa to be placed in a suitable alternative course, or if this is not possible, the student may be eligible for a refund through TPS. Please refer to https://tps.gov.au/Home/ for more information.
15. There are no refunds for public holidays or absences due to illness or personal business.
Transferring to another provider
16. Under the National Code Standard 7, once your student visa is granted, you cannot transfer to courses offered at another school prior to completing six calendar months of your principal course. The principal course is the main course of study to be undertaken by an overseas student where the student visa has been issued.
17. After completing six calendar months of the principal course, a student can request to transfer to another school by lodging a written request and having an offer letter from another school.
18. On receiving the request, The Language Academy will grant the transfer only if it is in the student’s best interests. For example, The Language Academy may not grant the request if the student is ceasing their English course and transferring to a VET or Higher Education program without sufficient English proficiency.
19. Once the transfer request is granted, The Language Academy will notify the student (by email) and the Provider Registration International Students Management System (PRISMS); the student will have to contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to seek advice on whether a new student visa is required. Please refer to: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud/More/Changing-courses.
20. If the student’s request for a transfer is denied, the student can appeal The Language Academy’s decision in writing within 20 working days of The Language Academy’s decision being made.
Airport Transfers – Cancellation and Refund Requests
1. Except in the case of a visa being refused, the airport transfer fee is non-refundable for cancellations made 3 days or less before the scheduled transfer.
2. If you miss your organised airport transfer, no refund will be made. If you still require an airport transfer, you will be required to pay additionally for this (second) service.
3. If your flight plan has been changed, please give the school as much notice as possible so we can re-organise the pick-up. If 24 hours or less notice is given, you may be required to pay for two airport transfers (the missed one and the second one).
Accommodation and Homestay
1. The accommodation search fee is non-refundable.
2. Homestay / Share accommodation cancellations received 5 days or less before the start date may incur a cancellation fee of 1 week’s rent.
3. If after commencing your home stay or share accommodation you want to change or cancel, you must notify the school in person or writing as soon as possible (within the first week). No refunds will be provided for the first week. In such a case, The Language Academy will endeavour to move a student to a new home stay / share accommodation, provided one is available, within or after the one week period (depending on the wishes of the student). There is no additional fee for moving students.